The Belgian electricity system will undergo unprecedented transformation in the coming years. As one of the few European countries that has already phased out coal, Belgium will move towards an electricity system dominated by gas and renewables. Federal and state governments in Belgium have confirmed that they will phase-out nuclear power, which currently accounts for 50% of the generation mix by 2025. The planned introduction of a capacity remuneration scheme and increased renewables build-out will create significant business opportunities for investors in gas-fired plants and peakers.
Aurora’s Belgian Power Market Service has been designed to help market participants navigate through the energy transition, by addressing key questions and opportunities quantitively, and providing deep market insights and intelligence.
We provide intelligence and insights to help address questions, such as:
- Will the government stick to the schedule for the nuclear phase-out? What is the price impact of the nuclear reduction in combination with baseload closures in Germany and the Netherlands?
- How will the introduction of the capacity remuneration scheme impact the electricity market in 2021? What technologies will be the winners of the auction?
- Will Belgium see a well-coordinated, cost-efficient buildout of renewables, given the complexities of Belgian federalism?
- How much will Belgium depend on electricity imports to compensate for the loss of nuclear capacities in the future? Will the increase in interconnection support security of supply?
- What is the flexibility need of the future system and how can it be met?
- Will the planned electrification of transport support or risk the security of supply?
Our Belgian Power Market Forecasts are regarded as industry standard and have been the basis for many transactions and asset financing processes. Unlike other analytics providers, our forecasts and analysis use in-house modelling and expertise on global commodities, European gas markets, power markets of other European countries and integrated balancing markets, to provide results that accurately reflect market realities. We also offer fully consistent forecasts for the interconnected markets Germany, Netherlands and France and their interconnection flows.
For more information about our services, please get in touch here.