GB Wholesale Power Market Summary – September 2020
We are pleased to present Aurora’s latest GB Wholesale Power Market Summary report. This report combines the highlights from our previous GB System, Wind, Company and Plant performance notes.
Key highlights include:
- The persistent rise in gas prices (a 47% increase from August) resulted in the average power price in September rising to £43.1/MWh – a £7.9/MWh (or 22%) increase from the previous month
- A maximum half-hourly power price of £511/MWh was recorded in September due to a combination of high demand and low renewables generation
- Monthly power demand in September increased by 0.5 TWh (or 4%) relative to August and the share of low carbon generation rose 2 p.p. to 57% of total demand in September
- The increase in demand resulted in a 0.2 TWh (or 2%) rise in thermal generation and an ensuing 0.06 MtCO2 (or 2%) increase in emissions relative to August
- Wind assets saw an increase in their profitability in September as wind capture prices increased by £5.0/MWh (or 15%) alongside an increase in load factors of 6 p.p (to 34.5%)
If you would like to discuss the findings, or become a subscriber, please get in touch.