Aurora’s Flexibility Market Summary provide a concise monthly review of recent events in key markets for flexible technologies. The initial focus is on the balancing mechanism and firm frequency response (FFR) markets with more ancillary services markets to be added over time.
Highlights of the December report include:
- Eighty-six dynamic bids were accepted in December, bringing the volume-weighted average price of accepted bids up to £5.1/MW/h.
- Dec-18 is the third long term FFR tender run since National Grid’s standardisation of contract lengths. Procurements reached as far as March 2021, with 384 MW total duration weighted volume procured in the dynamic market across the seasonal blocks from Jan-19 to Mar-21.
- The total duration weighted dynamic volume procured for January 2019 decreased slightly to 400 MW, but total volume remains similar compared to an average total of 410 MW for the second half of 2018.
- The volume-weighted average price of accepted bids in the static market increased slightly to £1.6/MW/h, with 21 accepted bids this December.
- Onsite DSF secured its first new FFR contracts in the static market since May 2018. Peak Gen Power was accepted for thirteen 6-month contracts, totalling 133.3 MW duration weighted volume for the period from Apr-19 to Mar-21.
Not a subscriber? Get more information here.